Wednesday 16 April 2014

Pauline Barclay

Today I'm delighted to welcome author Pauline Barclay to the blog.



I am a Yorkshire lass, but have lived in several different locations over the years; Suffolk, Surrey and Holland. 
Years ago I gained a BA (Hons) degree from the Open University, today I spend my time writing fiction. I have four books published, plus a 20 minute short festive story. I am busy working on book 5 which is scheduled to be published in 2014.
My passion is to write about events that happen in life and change everything for those involved as well as those caught up in the maelstrom. I want my characters to sit at your side, steal your attention and sweep you up in their story. Stories that will bring tears to your eyes, have you laughing out loud and sometimes, what they share with you, will stay  in your hearts for a very long time.



 Julie, your Blog is amazing, thank you so much for having me here.


You're very welcome Pauline. Now grab a coffee before we start the interview.

Can you tell us what prompted you to first start writing? What was the first thing you wrote?

I have been writing all my life. As a young girl, in a little note book, I wrote poems. I also wrote a song when I was eleven and it was sung at one of my school's parent days. I have no idea what it was about and I've never written one since! Later I went on to write short stories, I have about fifteen of these tucked away in the archives of my laptop.

Can you summarise your latest work in just a few words?

Storm Clouds Gathering is emotional, heart-rending and uplifting.

What was the inspiration for this book?

I wanted to write about life in the 1960's, Storm Clouds Gathering is set in 1965. The sixties was a time for high expectations and opportunities. For women changes were coming to their lives, but not always fast enough, especially for my characters!

Did you do any research for the book?

Yes, I have set the book around a mill town in Yorkshire. I needed to understand the working condition of the woolen mills and the lifestyle of the people who worked there. I had help from several quarters including a gentleman I met on the internet who had once worked in Fishers mill in Idle, Bradford around the period of my book. He was a great source of information. And we still keep in touch.

What are you working on next? Do you have a WIP?

I am working on my next book, book 5. I have a working title, but I feel this is not going to be the published title. This story is about addiction, not alcohol or drugs, there are other additions that can destroy lives. This story takes the reader on a journey where deception and lies are so believable to the point that even the liar can't see the difference between reality and lies. Once again I have set this story in the sixties, 1967.

What has been the best part of the writing process…and the worst?

I have to admit, writing, for me, is very up and down! The best part is when my characters become so real they take you on their journey. The worst is when you cannot write one word that will progress the story and panic sets it!

Tell us about your travels.

Over the years we've done a little travelling, some of the places we have been to are; Singapore, Japan, South Korea and New England. We have also visited many European towns and cities and we lived in Holland for a number of years.

Do you plot your novels or allow them to develop as you write?

When I start a novel, I always know the beginning and the end along with the main characters. The rest develops as I start the journey and more often than not it changes track several times before we arrive at our destination.

Have you taken any creative writing courses and would you recommend them?

I used to be a writer in the oil industry, writing magazines, press releases, press articles etc. I attended writing coursed back then. I think working in PR for companies is pretty creative in way or another!!

Do you have any advice for new writers?

I don't think I am a person who is qualified to offer advice, though I would say just go for it. Enjoy writing and make sure it gives you pleasure. If you take your writing to a publishing level, always have your worked checked by a professional editor.

Julie it's been fun and once again thanks for having me, I have a sun lounger with your name in it, so please come and sit round my pool when you have time.


All Pauline's books are available in Kindle and paperback

Pauline's links


 'Storm Clouds Gathering'

Storm clouds are gathering, silently and slowly, too far away to worry about. Or so it seems. But ignoring what is brewing will have dire consequences for the people caught up in the maelstrom.

Shirley Burton is too busy cheating on her husband, having a laugh and looking for fun to alleviate the boredom of her childless marriage. Kathleen Mitchell is too wrapped up in running around after her beautiful family to worry about her health. Anne Simpson has two things on her mind: her forthcoming marriage to Paul Betham, who seems to want to control her, and her career, which she does not want to give up.

Can Shirley really expect to deceive her husband and get away with it? Can Kathleen hold it all together, and is Anne able to have the best of everything?

Storm Clouds Gathering is a story of human emotion, passion and heart-rendering grief. Set against the backdrop of the mid-sixties, these three families will be tested to the limit as betrayal, loss and love threaten to change their lives forever.



My review


This is the first book of Pauline Barclay’s that I have read and it won’t be the last. ‘Storm Clouds Gathering’ tells the story of three families during the sixties in the North of England. Coming from Yorkshire myself the setting immediately appealed to me and Pauline’s evocation of the era is spot-on.  I particularly enjoyed the way in which the three stories intertwined and Pauline Barclay is adept at sweeping the reader up as the story carries you along.I became quite engrossed in the highs and lows that the different characters shared running the whole gamut of emotions – always the sign of a good writer. This is a book that will stay in your mind long after you have finished the last page.


My rating

4.5/ 5

No comments:

Post a Comment