Monday 10 September 2018

Interview with Tony Levy


                                                                                 





My book is an inside look into the way Heathrow Airport T5 operates. I spent four years working there as a Security Officer after spending 25 years as a prison officer (where I wrote my first book an Autobiography of my time working in HMP called A Turnkey or Not? And published by Apex publishers)
This book is a personal journal of what happened to my life during the period of February 2010 and May 2015
My life of El Dorado came to an abrupt end in February 2010 when we returned to the UK to escape the latest world recession, which was hitting Spain especially hard.
This forced me out of retirement and back into full time employment, which after an eventful year of re-establishing ourselves back into UK society and the working environment of having to work permanent nights back in a prison as a Night OSG at Feltham Young Offenders prison. Perversely whilst working the night shifts I wrote my first book A Turnkey or Not? Which then lead me to working at Heathrow Airport.
Even though the thought of returning to work did not enthral me spiritually the benefits were spending quality time with our grandchildren during their early formative lives.
After the first year which was a very disruptive period in our lives, we ultimately ended up in a lovely village called Eaton Bray near to two of our grandchildren and the start of my journey along the notorious M25 to one of the World’s busiest airports Heathrow in London.  
At the start of the book I explain how from leaving the UK at the end of my first book I ended up working at Heathrow Airport.
I also give brief histories and background of both why we have the security procedures and the background of the importance of Heathrow to the UK economy.
I have split the book into three parts; the first is an anecdotal look at the behaviour of passengers when experiencing the airport security process. How their behaviour at times was unbelievable, funny, weird, sometimes amazing and others that just accepted that security is a necessary evil of modern day air travel. You will recognise the behaviour of you or people who have travelled through airport security anywhere in the world
The second part of my book is again an anecdotal look at the behaviour of some of my colleagues and their attitude to their work as security officers. I write about their perception of racism, and their attitude to their own ethnic backgrounds, and their behaviour towards passengers.
The third part of my book is about management of the terminal and their attitude to both their staff and the passengers. I tell of the blatant nepotism, and the perception of racism that is rife at Heathrow. One chapter tells the story of how I was personally treated by management and how much it was perceived that they valued their staff, or don’t as in some instances. It describes how the pressure of complying with all the security procedures laid down by all the regulating authorities can be overwhelming and the issues of getting the balance between ‘flow rates’ profits and security.

This book tells the story of my next four years of working at Heathrow Airport Terminal Five on my ultimate journey to my own El Dorado.




Why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself?
I’m a 67 year old man who retired some years ago and came to live in Spain with my wife. We have been married almost 25 years (10 December) and she is always there to help me with my writings.
Three years ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer after a routine medical and had an operation to remove my prostate which was successfully carried out later that year. Now in remission I hope to enjoy many more years with my dear wife and continue to enjoy our life of retirement here in Spain
I had a normal upbringing in a loving family left school at 17 and started life working in the computer industry then became a driving instructor in Central London but decided to move to the prison service as it seemed a safer profession than a driving instructor. Retired after 25 years and went to live in Spain with my wife but due to the economic situation we came back after two years and I went back to work as a security officer at Heathrow Airport T5 now fully retired and living in Spain on the Costa Blanca and enjoying life. My wife is my best friend and soul mate. It took me a previous marriage and eight years of being single to find her, although our paths had crossed ever since we were both early teenagers it was obviously never the right time for us to meet until we did.

How did you get started on your writing journey?
Linde Lee Plant, she had a thriller program being televised about a fictitious prison in the UK, and the portrayal of the prison service and staff was so wrong and gave a terrible impression that it angered me to the point of wanting to write a book about the real staff and real prison service to put the balance back. I had toyed with the idea to write my book while still in the prison service but it never really got going it was just some idea’s put onto paper.  But I was so angry at the TV drama that I wanted to put the records straight, and it has just developed from there.
I can hear my dad now saying ‘What Tony writing a book naw unless it was a scrap book all about Tottenham Hotspur, naw he couldn’t write for toffee’s’

Are there any poets or writers who influence you? How so?
I suppose my biggest influence would be Sir Winston Churchill his ability to remember events at the age he was when he wrote his memoirs was amazing, I cannot write as he did but like to think I have been able to use my memory to recollect my stories as he did.

Let's talk about your novel! What is it about?
My latest book El Dorado? No! Heathrow Airport is a follow up to my first book A Turnkey or Not which was supposed to be a one off autobiography of my 25 years working for HM Prison Service in the UK a warts and all revelation of what went on behind the closed gates of real prisons, however on completing that book I realised that really the book was about my quest to find my on El Dorado. It left so many questions opened at the end and I realised that a second book would be needed, which in fact has now become a trilogy so a third book will be out in the future.
El Dorado? No! Heathrow Airport continues where the first book finished and it tells the tale of my quest to find my own El Dorado but moving to Spain and the subsequent crash of the world markets lead me back to the UK and back to work.
It’s the story of my real experiences working at Heathrow Airport Terminal five as a security officer trying to ensure passengers took with them what they were legally entitled to take. Again I go behind the scenes and tell the reader tales of how the passengers, celebrities and staff really behave. Some stories are very funny and others just leave the reader totally exacerbated at people behaviour.

 How is the title significant?
As I stated above the title is a continuation from the last line in my first book where I leave England in search of El Dorado. And the third book in the trilogy will also contain the words El Dorado.

 Where did inspiration for this come from?
My inspiration comes from my real life experiences, obviously my memory is not perfect but all the stories I write about in each chapter really did happen to me. So I suppose my inspiration comes from you the public and their own behaviour

Who do you think would like your story and what kind of readership are you aiming for?
I like to think my stories are of the raconteur type of style, many of my readers have said that reading my books is like being in a pub or a restaurant with a friend who is just telling anecdotal stories about his life. This is exactly how I wanted the books to come across, so I hope it’s worked. As for readership well anybody that likes to enjoy humorous stories about real people and real places

What is the message you are trying to get across in your book?

If I can write a book then anybody can, it’s like the start of a fitness campaign you know you have to take that one step outside your door to start any exercise but many people cannot make that first step, but we can and we should try and writing is the same.

 What is your writing process like?

My writing process is a bit strange but as all my chapters are complete stories within themselves I tend to think of an incident then write down a chapter heading then develop each chapter, however there is no chronological order and I can be writing three or four different chapters at the same time as they are all from my memory I can dip in and out of a chapter. Once the chapters are complete I think place them in the correct chronological order as each incident happened.

Many thanks for joining us today Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment