Wednesday 12 December 2018

The forgotten daughter


The Forgotten Daughter (The Girls Who Went To War #1)


From a tender age, Flora felt unloved and unwanted by her parents, but she finds safety in the arms of caring nanny Pru. But when Pru is cast out of the family home, under a shadow of secrets, and with a young baby boy of her own to care for, it shatters little Flora. 
But over the years, Flora and Pru meet in secret – unbeknown to Flora’s parents. Pru becomes the mother to flora she never had, and Flora grows into a fine young woman. When Flora signs up to become a nurse with the St John’s ambulance, she begins to shape her life. But the drum of war beats loudly and Flora’s world is turned upside down when she receives a letter asking her to join the Red Cross in Poland. 
With the fate of the country in the balance, it’s a time for bravery. Flora’s determined to be the strong woman she was destined to be. But with horror, loss and heartache on her horizon – there's a lot for young Flora to learn . . .

The Forgotten Daughter by Mary Wood is the first book in The Girls Who Went To War trilogy.
Mary  Wood

Mary lives in Blackpool and enjoys researching the history of her home town, coming up with some surprising facts and excited to uncover material for future books. 

Born the 13th child of 15 children, Mary experienced life at the raw end. Though she says of her childhood that though poor they were happy and were rich in love. 

Mary writes full time now having ended her 9 - 5 working life in the Probation Service. This experience gave the grittiness she brings to her writing as Mary says she feels compelled to tell it how it is. 


Website

Twitter



My Review

I am really excited to read the first in a new series from Mary Wood. This book pulls no punches and deals with some distressing themes such as rape and incest. These, however, are always dealt with sensitively and are integral to the plot. When Flora is essentially cast out by her well-off family, she turns to her nanny Pru who becomes a substitute for the mother's love she never received from her own mother.
I found the descriptions of wartime France really heartbreaking. The book is full of contrasts - unbearable suffering and loss tempered by the ties of friendship and love. This is a stunning start to the new series and I can't wait to read the next part as we catch up with the friends that Flora made in France who have become such an important part of her life.


30 comments:

  1. Oh, Julie, I am in tears reading your wonderful review. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Your support means the world to me. Though I won't be able to monitor the comments tomorrow, I will get to them as soon as I can and do the prize draw of a signed book. Much love, Mary xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure - I really enjoyed this one, full of promise for the rest of the series too. Much love xxxx

      Delete
  2. Hi I am not a big reader at the moment, I am trying to get into reading more.
    Since I lost my husband i can not seem to get back into reading.he read a lot a book a day simetimes.
    He brought me a kindle to read books on but I love a book to read.I
    I am going away April so I will take a couple of books with me.
    Keep up the good writing.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Ahh. I'm so sorry. I hope when you do begin to read again you find something you enjoy. And I hope you have a lovely holiday. Take care much love Mary x

      Delete
  4. this is beautiful well done julie and Mary looking forward to reading it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It is a brilliant review. Good luck in the draw darling. Much Love xxx

      Delete
  5. A wonderful review as always for you Mary xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks darling. Love the review. Good luck in the draw
      Much love Mary x

      Delete
  6. A beautiful review can't wait to read this xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy darling. Thank you. Good luck in the draw. Much love Mary x

      Delete
  7. A wonderful review, I’m looking forward to reading the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine. I love the review. Hope you enjoy the book. Much love Mary xr

      Delete
  8. Makes me want to read this ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that's good. Hope you enjoy. Thank you and good luck in the draw. Much love Mary x

      Delete
  9. Brilliant review can’t wait to read this book x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love this review. Hope you enjoy the book. Goid luck in the draw. Much love Mary xr

      Delete
  10. Thank you for sharing your thoughts xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting and good luck in the draw. Much love Mary x

      Delete
  11. what a lovely review by Julie Ryan. this sounds like another winning story by Mary that takes you on an emotional journey. really looking forward to getting to know Flora and Pru and even better that this is a triology x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Hope you enjoy. Good luck in the draw much love Mary x

      Delete
  12. Fabulous review looking forward to reading it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it. Thank you. Hope you enjoy. Goid luck in the draw. Much love Mary xxx

      Delete
  13. Great review of Mary's latest book Julie. It sounds an absolute fab book can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. It is a great review. Very proud to receive it. Good luck in the draw. Much love Mary x

      Delete
  14. Thank you for sharing your review Julie and I love your books Mary, especially Blackpool Lass. Thank you both very much xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hope you enjoy this one too. Oh and Blackpool Evacuee. Goid luck in the draw. Much love Mary x

      Delete
  15. I thought I had already commented but I cannot see it.
    A great review of this book that I am so, so looking forward to reading

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Anna, I was going to add you after your message, darling. Much love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Message from Jane Tanglis as she couldn't make her comment work, she loved the review, Julie, and the whole blog. I am including her in the draw. Much love, MaRY XXX

    ReplyDelete